Home Town or Home Community:
Lake Lenore, SK
Hundreds of loads of stones were hauled by parishioners of St. Anthony’s Parish, Lake Lenore and were used to build a war memorial grotto which was blessed and dedicated on Remembrance Day, 1947 by Father Francis Lohmer,OSB.
The grotto contains two statues, one of Our Lady of Lourdes and one of Bernadette. The grounds are in the shape of a cross. A stone tablet at the feet of the virgin reads: “To the Glory of God and the praise of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in honor of those who gave their lives that others might live, this memorial Grotto is Dedicated.” — Alfred Britz, John Kavanagh, Bernard Reynolds, Joseph Reynolds, Thomas Flack.
Each year on the closest Sunday following Remembrance Day, November 11, a memorial eucharistic celebration is held in St. Anthony’s Church. Following mass the people cross the road to the memorial grotto for the Legion Prayer Service and the placing of memorial wreaths by the various community organizations. Throughout the year the grotto is visited for private prayers.
Dr. Joseph Lozinsky and Heather A. Kolla, ” Mary as Mother” (St. Peter’s Press, June 1987, revised July 1987)